10 Must-Dos at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park
Located along the scenic Avenue of the Giants, at the southern end of Humboldt County, is California’s largest redwood state park.
Humboldt Redwoods SP encompasses 53,000 acres, with 17,000 acres of ancient old-growth coastal redwoods, the largest remaining contiguous old-growth coastal redwoods in the world.
Here you will find the Rockefeller Forest, home of The Rockefeller Tree, a 362′ tall and 13′.6″ wide giant, Founder’s Grove (easy hike) and the fallen Dyerville Giant, and one of the last remaining drive thru redwood trees the Shrine Drive Thru Tree.
Visit this site for more images.
Enjoy wholesome family attractions and explore historic sites. Here’s a list of the ten things you must do here.
1. Avenue of the Giants – This 31 mile road is perhaps the most amazing forest drive in the world.
2. Shrine Drive-Thru Tree – Of three such redwoods, only this one in Myers Flat has naturally cleaved tunnel.
3. Founders Grove – The Giant trees have sparked the creation of Save the Redwoods League.
4. Albino Trees – Park has six such rare redwoods, including the striking Christmas tree.
5. Rockefeller Forest – This 10,000-ace preserve is the largest contiguous of old growth titans.
6. Children Forest – Easy loop trail under a mile; great for kids to experience big trees.
7. Run a Race – The Avenues hosts marathons and shorter courses each spring and fall.
8. Lost Coast Drive – Bull Creek Flats/Mattole Rd leads to giant trees and state’s wildest beaches.
9. Picnic or Swim – Women’s Federation Grove has great lunch spots and kid friendly swimming holes.
10. Park Visitor Center – See all three redwood species and an RV made from a redwood trunk South of Weott.
NEED A PLACE TO STAY IN THE BAY AREA OR HAVE A SPECIAL SOMEONE COME OVER FOR A LITTLE VACATION? HEAD OVER PACIFICA BEACH HOTEL AND ENJOY A SWEET ESCAPE IN THE SCENIC VIEW OF THE CALIFORNIA COASTLINE. WE ARE LOCATED WITHIN MINUTES FROM SOME OF THE BEST PLACES TO VISIT AND NEVER FAR FROM AMENITIES LIKE RESTAURANTS, SHOPPING OUTLETS AND ENTERTAINMENT SPOTS. BOOK NOW!